Jun 8, 2009

Bushwick and Vikings


Stephen Truax, Untitled, gouache on stretched paper, 8.5 x 11 in., 2008

I was in Bushwick over the weekend at the Bushwick Open Studios. If you missed this event, make sure to look for the version next year. Getting there was a hassle since the L train was not running, but I'm glad I went, its the most fun art event I've had in NY. It was really well organized, with around 250 participating artists/groups/events.

The show ranged from non-profit galleries like Austin Thomas‘ Pocket Utopia and Norte Maar, to group shows, to individual artists - some showing in purpose built studio spaces, others in their homes. Stephen Truax was presenting from his home studio - he uses geometric forms but with hand brush strokes, which I found a refreshing departure from the pervasive masked-tape technique.

I had one of my new Shopping Cart works in a group show called Viking Mountain Funeral, curated by Kathleen Smith and Eric Ayote. The show hung together well and was well presented, and Eric and Kathleen were a pleasure to work with. All together a great weekend.

No comments: